Lovis Corinth

1858 Tapiau (Ostpreußen) - 1925 Zandvoort (Niederlande)

Franz Heinrich Louis Corinth wird 1858 in Tapiau/Ostpreußen geboren, verstirbt 1925 in Zandvoort/Holland. Ab 1876 besucht er die Königsberger Akademie als Schüler von Otto Günther (1838-1884), im Anschluss daran die Münchner Akademie bei Ludwig von Löfftz (1845-1910). Ab 1884 folgen Studienreisen nach Antwerpen und Paris, wo er an der privaten Académie Julian studiert.

1887 Rückkehr nach Königsberg. 1891 lässt er sich für 9 Jahre in München nieder und wird Mitglied bei verschiedenen Kunstvereinigungen: „Secession“ (1892) und „Freie Vereinigung“ bis 1893, danach bei den „24“, 1896 in der Freimaurerloge „In Treue fest“. 1895 erhält Corinth seine zweite Goldmedaille für ein Gemälde im Münchner Glaspalast. 1901 Umzug nach Berlin und Eröffnung einer Malschule für Frauen, deren erste Schülerin seine spätere Frau Charlotte Berend ist. 1902 wird Corinth in den Vorstand der Berliner Secession gewählt, deren Präsident er ab 1915 ist. Gemeinsam mit Max Liebermann (1847-1935) und Max Slevogt (1868-1932) avanciert er zu einem der bedeutendsten Künstler Berlins.

Ein Schlaganfall im Dezember 1911 beeinflusst ihn nachhaltig in seinem Schaffen. 1919 erwirbt Corinth ein Grundstück am Walchensee. Mit dem Motiv des Walchensees erzielt er innerhalb seines Ouevres nochmals einen künstlerischen Höhepunkt. Lovis Corinth verstirbt 1925 in Zandvoort/Holland an einer Lungenentzündung.

Lovis Corinth was born in Tapiau in East Prussia in 1858. He died in Zandvoort in Holland in 1925. He attended the Königsberg Academy, enrolling in 1876 to study under the painter Otto Günther (1838-84). He went on to study at the Munich Academy under Ludwig von Löfftz (1845-1910). In the mid-1880s he made study trips to Antwerp and then to Paris where he attended classes at the Académie Julian, a private art school. He returned to Königsberg briefly in 1887 before moving to Munich in 1891.
During his nine years in Munich he founded and joined a number of art groups. They included the Munich Secession (1892), a smaller group known as the Freie Vereinigung, and its follow-up, the Münchner 24 (1893). In 1896 he was co-founder of a Masonic lodge titled In Treue fest. By this time he was exhibiting regularly – a painting shown at the 1895 exhibition in the Munich Glaspalast had brought him his second gold medal. He left Munich for Berlin in 1901 and opened a private painting school for women. His first pupil, Charlotte Berend, was later to be his wife. He was appointed a board member of the Berlin Secession in 1902 and its president in 1915. He came to be regarded as one of Berlin’s leading artists on an equal footing with Max Liebermann (1847-1935) and Max Slevogt (1868-1932). He suffered a stroke in December 1911 leaving him partially paralysed and this was to have an impact on all his later work. In 1919 he purchased a plot of land on the Walchensee, a mountain lake in the Bavarian Alps. The landscapes of the Walchensee and related motifs marked a new high point in his artistic career. He died of pneumonia at the age of sixty-seven on a trip to Holland.